Monday, November 17, 2008

7th Art: Red River (1948)

My grandfather loved John Wayne movies. Every time I watch a classic western, I can easily understand why. "Red River" (1948) is among the best. Directed by Howard Hawks and starring the Duke, it pays homage to the adventuring spirit of pioneers from all latitudes.

The movie explores the economic challenges of cattle herders living in South Texas and the importance of the Chisholm Trail, which connected most of South Texas to the north of the US, and therefore was essential for the economic development of the region.

The movie appeals to me on a personal level. I once lived in the region where the story takes place, and hauled my belongings from the very beginning of I-35 to its very end in Northern Minnesota, having covered therefore a good part of the Chisholm Trail on my way north.

Here are some of the best moments in the movie. Yeehaw!

No comments: